Brian George Charles Huggett, MBE (born 18 November 1936) started his golf career at Neath and was the Club's President from 19?? tp 19?. The Club is immensely proud to be associated with one of Wales' golfing legends who has been a great supporter of the Club.
The Huggett Putter is played for annually at Neath and is arguably the most competative of all the knock out competitions held at the Club. The putter was presented to Brian at ........????.
Huggett turned professional in 1951 and won sixteen events on the European circuit, including two after the formal start of the Europen Tour in 1972. He topped the Order or Merit in 1968 and was the third highest money winner in the first season of the formal tour. He finished third in the Open Championship in 1962, albeit a full thirteen shots behind runaway winner Arnold Palmer, but in 1965 finished second, only two shots behind Australia's Peter Thomson at Royal Birkdale.
Huggett joined the European Seniors Tour when it debuted in 1992 and won ten times at that level. He finished second on the European Seniors Tour Order of Merit in 1993, 1994 and 1998. He played six times for Great Britain & Ireland in the Ryder Cup (1963, 1967, 1969, 1971, 1973 and 1975) and had an 8-10-6 win-loss-half record. He was Great Britain & Ireland's non-playing captain in 1977.
Huggett is also a golf-course designer and in 2006 he was inducted into the Welsh Sports Hall of Fame.
European circuit wins (14)
- 1962 Duch Open
- 1963 Cox Moore (Sweaters), German Open
- 1966 British PGA Championship
- 1967 Martini Internationl(tie with Malclm Gregson)
- 1968 News of the World Match Play, Sumrie Clothes, Martini International
- 1969 Bowmaker (tie), Daks Tournament
- 1970 Algarve Open, Carrolls International, Dunlop Masters
- 1971 Daks Tournament (tie with Neil Coles)
European Tour wins (2)
- 1974 Portuguese Open
- 1978 B.A./Avis Open
Other wins (3)
- 1962 Singapore International
- 1972 Sumrie Clothes Better-Ball (with Malcolm Gregson)
- 1978 Welsh Professional Championship
European Seniors Tour wins (10)
- 1992 Gary Player Anvil Senior Class, Northern Electric Seniors
- 1993 Northern Electric Seniors,Forte PGA Seniors Championship
- 1994 La Manga Spanish Seniors Open
- 1995 Windsor Senior Masters, Shell Scottish Seniors Open
- 1998 Schroder Senior Masters, Senior British Open
- 2000 Beko Classic
Results in Major Championships
|The Open Championship
|The Open Championship
DNP = Did not play
CUT = missed the half-way cut
"T" = tied
Green background for wins. Yellow background for top-10.
- Ryder Cup: 1963, 1967, 1969, 1971, 1973, 1975, 1977 (non-playing Captain)
- World Cup 1963, 1964, 1965, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1976, 1979
- Hennessy Cognac Cup: 1974 (winners), 1978 (winners)
- Double Diamond: 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977
- Praia D'el Rey European Cup: 1998